SMALL BUSINESS PLAN: SPORTING GOODS RETAIL STORE
This research presents a small business plan for starting a sporting goods retail store. The elements of this plan are (1) the business description, which includes all of the material found in a traditional business feasibility study other than proforma financial projections, and (2) the proforma financial projections for the proposed small business operation.
The description of the proposed small business operation is presented in this section. The elements of this description are (1) product description, (2) target market description, (3) existing competition, (4) marketing strategy, (5) business location, (6) management, and (7) staffing.
The product that will be offered by the proposed business is the retail sale of sporting goods. Sporting goods stores, as described by Standard Industrial Classification number 5941, are "establishments primarily engaged in the retail sale of sporting goods, sporting equipment, and . . . accessories." Retail establishments engaged in the sale of athletic footwear are described under Standard Industrial Classification number 5661 (shoe stores); however, the proposed business described in this plan will also sell athletic footwear. The specific product groups that will be represented in the goods offered for sale in the proposed business are as follows:
1. Ammunition for hunting weapons and handguns.
2. Backpacking, hiking, and mountaineering equipment. 3. Bicycles, bicycle accessories and equipment, and bicycle parts.
4. Bowling balls, bowling accessories, and bowling supplies.
6. Exercise equipment, and exercise clothing.
7. Firearms: hunting weapons and handguns.
9. Golf clubs, golf accessories and equipment, and golf clothing and shoes.
10. Hunting equipment, and hunters' clothing.
11. Racquetshandball, tennis and other, accessories and equipment for all racquet games, and clothing and shoes for al...